maandag 18 februari 2013

Preparing for my first craft show

Through Sara, momwithahook, I have taken on the challenge described on mollyeleen.wordpress.com '31 days: preparing for my first craft show'.

Day 1 has already passed a while ago when I decided to participate in Hangema(r)kt next month. My first 'adventure' with selling my items, was not a success. I participated in a pop-up shop, but hardly sold anything. Auch, that certainly hurts and I was ready to pack it all in and keep it a hobby. But then reason kicked in and I decided not to give up after one try. The location of the shop was not great, there was too many jewelry on sale besides my crochet jewelry etc.



That brought me to Day 2 of this preparation: deciding to be in a craft show.

I always thought it would be too expensive to participate in a craft show, that I would have to sell a lot of items to breakeven with the costs. But I was wrong. The Handgema(r)kt is a one day craft show at about 2 hours drive from where I live. Through an artist who participated last year I learned that this is a very nice fair, with plenty of visitors, well organised and all. So I took the plunge and registered. My application was accepted, and furthermore I was asked to organise a workshop on how to crochet jewelry! Well, how often does one get presented a platform to show off ones skills? Obviously I accepted immediately.

And now I am looking forward to this event. Preparing new jewelry, thinking about how am I going to organise the workshop etc.



And although I am very excited, I'm also a bit scared. Yes scared. What if this turns out to be another flop? I have an etsyshop, but that is no real success either. What if no one likes my work?


3 reacties:

  1. I totally understand the first show flops. I had one of those too. I'm glad you aren't giving up. For this next show I think having the input from the other crafter helps.

    Teaching the workshop will be helpful too. I think actually seeing what you do will engage you with the audience.

    You can have business cards which link to your blog and etsy shop to refer people to. Maybe even a small brochure with photos of your pieces and where to buy them.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Oh I feel for you! I have an Etsy shop with ok sales, but craft shows didn't work for me. I think you just have to find the right kind of craft show, and I bet this time it will be better. And I agree with Sara above on the business cards!

    Good luck :)
    Paula
    lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen